CREATING SURVEY DRAWINGS WITH 3D SCANNING
THE SERVICE REQUEST
Our Victorian surveying experts, Gus and Matt, undertook a 3D scanning project for Werribee Zoo. A management decision had been made to begin planning for a refurbishment of the zoo’s gorilla enclosure areas.
After originally obtaining an x-ray of the non-visible reinforcement steel around the enclosure, the zoo was advised they would also need to obtain surveys of the enclosure to assist with identifying the enclosure’s existing conditions and any future design limitations. Realserve provided precise 3D scanning and a Revit model showing the existing conditions of all building or visible steel structures.
The team needed to plan their approach and did so with a pre-survey site visit to devise a strategy that would minimise disruption and movement of any animals or staff on the day. The goal was to provide highly accurate 3D point clouds, that are millimetre accurate as well as 2D site plans and a Revit model.to work with.
- Pre-Survey site visit – Matt and Gus visited the site prior to the survey to navigate around site and identify objects that would need to be removed for the most accurate scan, minimising disruption to its inhabitants.
- Safety Compliance – the team spoke to animal handlers about safety compliance and how to deal with compromising situations should they arise.
- Equipment – A combination of innovative technology and traditional equipment was utilised in order to achieve the best results. The team used a FARO 3D Laser Scanner and a Leica Total Station.
- Efficient processes – The team carried out the works in an efficient and safe manner ensuring that they adhered to zoo staff instructions. Matt and Gus used their expertise and experience to anticipate the most useful information to capture and provide to the zoo. They created a precise and detailed point cloud with the total station providing survey control points and the accurate imaging of the 3D scanner. It took less than a day to complete the on-site surveys.
- Sample point cloud screenshots – we provided some point cloud screenshots to the zoo in advance so they could share the information at a management meeting.
- 2D plan – xxx need industry lingo term descrpition, use and for what job function here
- 3D scan – xxx need industry lingo term descrpition, use and for what job function here
- Quality assurance checks – xxx need industry lingo term descrpition, use and for what job function here
Take a look at our process and some samples below of the 3D point cloud scans and Revit model screenshots.
The 3D reality that was captured will be helpful for Werribee Zoo now and in the future as they provide an accurate view of the actual existing conditions of the property, site and buildings. The team even learnt a few things about Gorillas such as the gorillas don’t like eye contact and the Keepers even hold birthday parties for them.
WHAT ELSE COULD HAVE BEEN DONE?
xxxxx that would allow;